Sunday, June 15, 2008

Oops, I forgot to blog this week . . .

And some people (you know who you are) are getting testy!

First and foremost, Happy Father's Day to all of you Dad's out there (and hopefully you know who you are, too). I hope you were well and truly feted and celebrated, and walked forth on pathways strewn with fragrant rose petals all day. I know I certainly did.

Um, OK, maybe not exactly all of that. Actually I did have a nice day, but it was a bit more hectic than either I or my wife would have picked. But, we didn't get a vote.

It started out nice. She brought me coffee in bed and left me in peace while I watched Fox News Sunday and Meet the Press (rest in peace, Tim Russert, you are already missed). I haven't done that in years!

Shortly after that, a parade of children (are all of these mine?) streamed into the bedroom singing "Happy Father's Day to you. . . ." bearing gifts of swim trunks and "stay-cool" golf shirts. Sweet!

It was pretty much downhill from there. At that point, we had exactly one hour for everyone to bathe, dress, get hair brushed, and into the car to head to my parents for lunch. We left late and had to stop en route to buy some last minute supplies for Vacation Bible School (starting tomorrow). We got to the parental units for a mid-afternoon lunch, but then had to dash the hour back home so that my wife could go help set up for VBS. I helped schlep various and sundry items down to the Chapel and then schlepped the kids back home. Then I got to (as in "was priviledged enough to") vacuum before my in-laws came over for dinner. Oh good, let's eat again!

Dinner was spectacular (fresh salmon, tomato & mozzarella salad, etc). Then we left for a quick ride on the in-laws pontoon boat. It was a beautiful evening for a boat-ride, but almost ended up as a train-wreck (pardon me while I mix metaphors with abandon) at the dock as said in-laws really don't work well together when it comes to docking boats.

As a result of all that, it was 9:30 before the kids got to bed (did I mention they have to be at VBS tomorrow morning at 8:30?). The kitchen is still a disaster, and we're all exhausted.

But all of that aside, it was still a great day. I have a wife who loves me even when I manage to be pretty unlovable. I have three AMAZING kids who are a joy to be around and so much darned fun too! We live in a spectacular place in the greatest country on earth and are loved by a God whose grace knows no bounds.

Yep, life really is great. So, Happy Father's Day to Tim, Arby, Big Doofus, and all you other Dads out there. I think you all know exactly how blessed you are.

Chris

Oh, by the way, Belle went to golf camp last week. Make sure I tell you about the two of us playing in the "end of camp" tournament Friday morning. It was awesome!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a blessedly quiet day. I'm glad your went well, too.