Monday, August 11, 2008

In which Belle throws me under the bus . . .

Those of you who buy organic peanut butter ("choosy fathers choose organic") know that it has this nasty habit of separating in the jar. Solids sink to the bottom; oils rise to the top. Refridgeration helps prevent this, but first you have to get it mixed back together when you first open it after purchase.

Today for lunch, I made my specialty (peanut butter and honey sandwiches with a side of carrots and sliced cucumbers). I chose this because that's what we had in the fridge. I'm creative like that.

Anywhere, I had to open a new jar of peanut butter before I started. Trying to mix separated contents together with only 1/8th of an inch of space below the top of the jar is messy at best. In a burst of brilliance, I decided to dump the entire contents into a larger bowl, mix it up thoroughly, and then carefully pour it back into the original jar.

So at dinner tonight, my lovely wife innocently asked "what's up with the gross peanut-buttery bowl sitting in the sink?" (oops) I explained my brilliant process to her with some small amount of success. She still looked a little dubious.

From across the table, Belle piped up "the kids didn't have anything to do with that idea, Mom".

Thanks, kiddo.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So, where are the shelf photos? We've been waiting...

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

BUSTED!!!!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Do you have a food processor? We started making our own organic peanut butter. It tastes better than the organic "natural" peanut butter because, as we've discovered, they apparently remove some of the peanut oil from the "natural" stuff. An extra benefit is that it's the perfect consistency when refrigerated. :)

I know, I know. I'm heading back to Weirdville right now.