Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Coffee + motherboard = not good . . .

We had a little issue here yesterday morning. My wife (whom I love and cherish) moved her laptop to the sewing room for to move some monograming files to her mack-daddy computerized sewing - embroidery - latte brewing machine. Realizing the risk of taking her morning coffee with her, she had the foresite to put said coffee in a travel coffee mug.

Said mug has a tiny little hole that lets tiny little amounts of coffee out if tipped over.

Helpful hint: it only takes a tiny amount of coffee to fry a motherboard and transform a previously useful IBM laptop into a less-useful IBM doorstop.

Let me pause to acknowledge that my wife has willingly and cheerfully accepted my work computer hand-me-downs ever since she left the paid workforce 9 years ago. When my employers (may they ever be blessed!) deem it appropriate to upgrade my 2.5 to 3 year old laptop, she gets the rode-hard, put-up-wet cast-off. Hey, free (or practically free) is always nice. I thank her for never complaining.

Unfortunately, I'm not due for an upgrade for at least 6 months; maybe a year. Trust me when I tell you that she won't last that long.

If anyone knows of some great PC deals out there, beloved internets, please let me know. I'm now in the market.