Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So what are you reading?

So there I was, minding my own business, sitting in my hotel room at a corporate training event (5 days away from home, thank you very much!) when suddenly the one and only, highly esteemed The Tutor tagged me with a meme. . .

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the next three sentences.

5. Tag five people.

Hmm. So I'm on a business trip, spending the week at our corporate training facility (a whole other post in itself) when I get this post. Wow!!! I've been tagged! I feel so cool! (Yes, it's a first).

Well, to the task at hand. I have two books (one atop the other) that I brought with me. I'd almost finished The President, The Pope and The Prime Minister when I left home, so in addition to it I brought The Great Republic by Sir Winston Churchill.

Book One (from O'Sullivan's P, P and PM)

"Five years later, largely owing to the follies of the Carter administration when it sought the overthrow of the corrupt Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somaza - with no idea of who ight replace him - the investment paid off. The Sandinist guerrilla forces found a vacuum in Managua and seized power on July 17, 1979. Given its partial responsibility for this upset, the Carter administration was anxious to deceive itselv about the new rulers;Warren Christopher, then deputy secretary of state, told Congress that the Sandinistas were 'generally moderate and pluralistic.'"

Hmm.

Book Two (Sir WC's TGR, which I haven't even started yet!)

"The Declaration wasw in the main a restatement of the principles which had animated the Whig struggle against the later Stuarts and the English Revolution of 1688, and it now became the symbol and rallying centre of the Patriot cause. Its immediate result was to increase the nubmer of Loyalists, frightened by this spendid defiance. But the purpose of the colonies was proclaimed. "

Well OK then! Don't I appear well read? Catch me next week and I may well be reading the latest from Vince Flynn or a rerun from Tom Clancy. Just please don't think less of me!

Meanwhile, I'm tagging:

Timothy
Arby
Fletch
Tim and Kathy
and
Sebastian

Go ahead, gents and ladies. Fill us in on the latest from your library! (and PLEASE, let someone be reading some brain candy to make us feel better!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I took up the challenge. You can find my meme at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/arbysarchives

Sebastian said...

Thanks for the tag. Alas, no brain candy within hand.

Timothy Power said...

I've done mine. It's at this link.