Friday, October 12, 2007

Thoughts on blogging. . .

So I've been a citizen of the blogosphere for half a year or so now. In fact, according to Blogger, this is my 25th post. Gee, I'm really blazing along, aren't I?

Anyway, I've done far more reading of blogs than posting on this one. What else to do during a hotel-room evening while traveling. There are some pretty amazing people out there who are kind enough to share their thoughts, their funnies, and their life experiences with all of us. I've learned a lot (and laughed even more!).

If it hasn't been done already, I'm sure someone will someday the effects of blogging on our culture as a whole. Blogging, along with other web-based tools / services such as YouTube, MySpace, etc are radically changing everything from dating to elections. The impact of these tools probably won't be truly appreciated for years.

One personal impact I've seen and observed in others is the opportunity to do some "creative writing". For years, all of the writing I've done has been work-related. Trust me, a proposal for some innovative technology offering rarely offers an opportunity to wax poetic on anything. Now, all of the sudden, I have a chance to write for fun. And because there is a remote chance that someone might actually read it I actually WANT to write. My niece is in college and is a very talented developing writer. Her blog gives here a chance to test-drive that talent in a far more "real world" environment than English Comp 101.

It makes you wonder what the "next big thing" will be and what it's impact will be.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: