Monday, August 13, 2007

Wall Street moment in the mountains


Last week was certainly a "bear" market on Wall Street. In retrospect, I should have realized that I had a hint it was coming on Monday morning.



So there I was, sitting at my desk working diligently (both at my computer and on my third cup of coffee) when my phone rings. It was my wife, calling from upstairs. (that's not the punch line; happens all the time!).



"Look out your window!" she yells. "There's a bear coming."



Sure enough, a few seconds later an "adolescent"-sized bear (not full grown, but certainly no cub) wandered around the corner and strolled between the house and the kids play area. He paced back and forth a few times before climbing up on the railing around our lower deck (just outside my office) and jumped down. He smelled the dog-food I had given our dog that morning.



By this time, the whole family is in my office watching while dear wife snaps pictures with the camera. (yes, I brought the dog inside in time). Finally, it dawned on us that we might want to try to scare this guy away before he 1) makes himself at home and/or 2) starts to do some real damage to the house. DW heads upstairs to the upper deck (right above his head) and starts to jump up and down, yelling and making all kinds of noise. Meanwhile, I banged on the windows and door in my office and the kids yelled their heads off. Job done. The bear jumped over the railing and mozeyed off around the house (pausing to look in the front door before heading through the woods).



Cool!!!



As much as I'd like for the market to turn around, hopefully it won't be presaged by a bull wandering down my street!

No comments: